Latest posts by Marieke Stoop (see all)
- A Free Guide of Key HR Terms in the Netherlands - May 17, 2019
- What to include in Employee File and how long to keep the record. - May 12, 2019
- European Elections May 23, 2019in the Netherlands - April 26, 2019
What to include in Employee File
and how long to keep the record
May 13, 2019 – Employers process a lot of personal data of their employees. These are often stored in a personnel file. Employers may only prepare a personnel file if this is necessary for the performance of an employment contract or appointment as a civil servant, and they must take into account the privacy of their employees.
Conditions of personnel file
The General Data Protection Regulation [AVG] provides conditions for the creation of personnel files.
- are responsible for the accuracy and accuracy of the data in the employee file;
- may not record more data in the personnel file than necessary, and the data must be relevant;
- must inform employees, including information about what data they are collecting, for what purposes and on what legal basis;
- must protect the personal data appropriately to not get lost or fall in the wrong hands;
- the personal data may not be kept longer than necessary;
- must offer employees the opportunity to view their data – this applies in principle to the entire employee file – and possibly to rectify, limit or delete them;
- employees must individually point out the right to object when processing data on the grounds of the legitimate interest;
- where appropriate, workers should offer the possibility to exercise their right to data portability.
If you want to know what documents to include in the Employee file in the Netherlands, please check out the checklist. It will provide all necessary documents to include in the personnel file. It even included the retention periods for each of the documents. Download the basic guidelines for HR record keeping and what to include.